25 September 2007

I'm gonna squash you!

It's sunny, nearly 90 degrees... Sounds like a perfect day to make soup, right? Ha! But I've been dying to try out a new recipe and my butt (okay butte) potatoes, so I went for it.

Smooshy Potato and Squash Soup

1 to 1-1/2 lb potatoes
~1 lb cubed butternut squash
5 cups stock (I used 2 of chicken, 3 of vegetable)
1 cup heavy cream
1 small to medium onion, diced
Sage
Nutmeg
Salt
Pepper
1 tbs unsalted butter (I used light margarine because that's what I had)

1. Peel potatoes and slice into 1/4-inch pieces or smaller
2. If not already cubed, cube squash
3. Melt butter over medium heat
4. Saute onion for 5 minutes
5. Add potatoes and squash, stock, and cream
6. Bring to a boil
7. Simmer for 15 minutes
8. Lightly mash and/or whisk to break up potato pieces and smooth squash
9. Season with sage, nutmeg, salt, and pepper
10. Simmer for 5 more minutes
11. Give one last good whisk and/or mash, depending on how ok you are with chunks (we like chunks)
12. Spoon into bowls and serve with slices of sourdough -- YUM!

I bogarted the basic idea from this book: Vegetable Love. I heart this cookbook.

No comments: