17 April 2012

Simply eggsellent.

I think it is safe to say that I am obsessed with eggs. A few weeks ago on Iron Chef the secret ingredient was eggs. At one point, they cracked open and poached an ostrich egg. That baby was huge - I mean, check it out:


All I could think about was how in the heck do I find myself an ostrich egg so I can cook it sunny side up and soak toast in the delicious, gooey yolk? Does it get any better than that? Seriously!

For a while I was making batches of hard-boiled eggs on Sunday nights and bringing an egg a day for work lunch snacks. Then for a week or two I was making batches of egg salad and having that for lunch (unfortunately, that one my stomach couldn't handle, so no more egg salad sandwich lunches for me). My current kick is poached eggs for lunch, via this AWESOME gadget my mom got me for Christmas:

The screamy face is my favorite part.

I'm pretty sure she got it at TJ Maxx, but they sell it on Amazon, too, for $9. On Sunday nights, I've been making a big batch of rice (white, still can't handle brown - yuck) for M, T, W. For lunch, I poach my egg, add it to my rice, and mix in whatever else I've brought - avocado, salsa, just remembering I have delicious crumbly Mexican cheese in my fridge at home and that would go perfectly, too, darn it! Anyway, super filling, protein packed, and delicious. Definitely helps the day go by faster....

*Note, I still have enormous chicken guilt about eggs. BUT I only buy local-ish farm eggs that are literally labelled "Happy Eggs!" So that helps....

No comments: