18 August 2010

The f word.

"You're the only person I know that would make a reservation in another country two months ahead of time." -- Sara

* sigh * Guilty as charged... Ha ha ha! :D

Because we don't have enough going on right now, it's time to start planning the details of our big five-year anniversary trip to England. I don't know that I've mentioned it specifically, but we're headed to London for eight days come late October (with a two-day trip up to Manchester to visit with Marla, Andrew, and Ella). Confirming flights and seats and veggie meals, booking our anniversary dinner, ordering train tickets... Trust me, I've got lists started many many months ago (seeing The Young Victoria sparked an obsession for all things Queen Victoria -- here I come, Kensington Park). But I promise I'm not crazy every-moment-planned detail girl. We just like to know our options because big cities can be overwhelming, and you don't want to get caught unawares.

But, as with all our trips, the food... oh, the food. This is what really gets our planning blood boiling (in a good way, of course). We've been planning a Gordon Ramsay food tour, of sorts. And by "of sorts" I mean mostly seeing his restaurants and maybe eating at one or at the very most two. Michelin-starred food don't come cheap! After lots of research, we've decided on Maze for our actual anniversary dinner on the 29th. Any fans of Hells Kitchen will have a little giggle over seeing John Dory on the menu. I would like to try the gazpacho with squid ink, and I plan on convincing Brad to try the Irish ox "tongue n cheek." Perhaps, then, the peanut butter and cherry jam sandwich dessert?

This trip we fly into Heathrow... home of Plane Food. Our flight gets in super early in the morning (well, not SUPER early, but anything following an overnight flight is early), so I will be insisting on popping in here to grab SOMETHING, just to say I did. Perhaps a summer picnic (you know he had me at "smoked salmon")? I'd even be happy with "porridge." Yes, I am a sucker for all things Gordon. What can I say? He's a total stud.



"Done."

2 comments:

Birgles McGee said...

Dude, I have also been obsessed with Queen Victoria lately! About three weeks ago (after renting The Young Victoria from the library), I spent about 4 hours reading the Victoria threads on Wikipedia.

P.S. My word verification below is cootag. Which sounds dirty.

Fickle Cattle said...

Ooh, I've wanted to do something similar. A vacation revolving around eating would be heaven. :-)

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/