31 May 2010

We'll miss you most of all, scarecrow.

Non-people-wise (of course!), I think Zingerman's (all of 'em) is the place we'll miss most when we move. It's not cheap, and over the past year and a half, it's been a special treat for sure, but I think most of you are with me when I say, if I could, I'd buy all Zingerman's, all the time, whether it's a meal, cheese, bread... whatevah! As of yet, we still don't know when we'll be officially leaving the close comfort of Zingerman's, but, in the meantime, we're making the most of it and have vowed to imbibe as often as we can. Last week we picked up some mac and cheese (the pimento mac is my current "usual") before Brad had to hit the road, and today we decided to hit the deli with Bob and Lynn before Brad had to leave again. Luckily we got there right before the first big storm of the day, and we snagged a prime seat inside.... right next to the dessert counter. Yum.



I'll take one of each, please!

I managed to resist, knowing we had a mini key lime pie at home in the fridge. But many things called to me. Rhubarb pie. Pecan pie. Cherry pecan croissant. Coconut and almond chocolate cake. Seriously, Zingerman's is the devil.



While we wait, Brad shows Bob the wonders of the BlackBerry.

And then... it was time to eat (shortly following the mass run for the inside of all the outside folks). Brad, Bob, and Lynn all went the reuben route, always a sure thing. Brad opting for the old garlic pickle (which, I must admit, I love [if you've never heard my pickle philosophy, I'm happy to share for your amusement] but can't really eat because they are laden with garlic), B&L opting for the gross new pickle. There actually was no line so in no-time-to-mull-over-my-decision mode, I decided on the tuna sandwich, on sourdough NOT nasty rye (smells like pickles!) -- simple but tasty: tuna and white cheddar. One of my current three favorite sandwiches there and easily the best tuna sandwich around. Duh!







Brad pondering how sad he will be to be two hours away from Zingerman's.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of great food in St. Joe. And even more in the whole of southwest Michigan, I'm sure. But as far as I'm concerned, I'll always be an Ann Arbor girl, and I'll always crave my Zingerman's. So we fully anticipate heading home with a cooler full of food every time we come back to visit!

No comments: