13 September 2009

This little piggie.

I've been busy this past week, I guess, doing, well, I don't know what, but busy enough that I've missed noting a few notable meals. Last Thursday, I fell in love with a giant cabbage and had to have it. I brought it home and Sunday made my first attempt at stuffed cabbage rolls. It's instances like this that I wish recipes were VERY specific. I made the somewhat fatal flaw of not precooking my cabbage long enough before stuffing and cooking. It just wasn't clear! I blame you, cooks.com! I steamed my cabbage leaves in the microwave until they were just pliable. Turns out, that's just not long enough. But they looked fine cookin up...

And, honestly, I really really liked them still. Brad couldn't get past the texture of the cabbage and all the work it took to cut it, but I was surprisingly reminded of how delicious cabbage is. If Brad will trust me, I will absolutely make this again soon.

So after all the work of the cabbage rolls (not a ton of work, but, you know, work nonetheless), it reminds me how some of the simplest meals are the best. Case in point, burrito night.

*This is the infamous broccoli I steamed alongside a gigantic grub. I still shudder at the thought.

Just some tortillas, refried beans, shredded cheddar, lettuce, and guacamole. Perfect. Later in the week, I made another delicious but simple discovery: pasta + Trader Joe's vodka sauce + 1/2 log of goat cheese = best. meal. ever. I highly recommend checking out this super duper quick combo.

And if I was having any doubts about not eating meat, Brad and I visited the Saline Fair on Friday, and, of course, roamed through all the animal exhibits. I wanted to smoosh them all. And luckily, most of them I could. Except for this piggie, who smooshed ME!

This dude thought he was pretty sweet. Brad and I had to agree.

And the fair, THE place to be as a kid, looks just about the same as I remember it. Although, of course, back then it seemed massive (and now it costs almost as a ticket to Cedar Point once you add everything up!).

And finally, a quick shout out to one of my oldest friends. Hope you had the best bachelorette party ever, Tabi!

Down the hatch, Mrs. Feeney-to-Be

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay for no meat! I have a really tasty potato leek soup you should try. Mmmmm.

KayBee said...

This is my exact complaint about recipes. I did the same thing. It's very difficult to cook a nice meal without lots of prior food knowledge these days. I bet it was delicious. Really, you only make these mistakes once so I have learned to have a "test" meal so my family is stuck eating the not-so-good meal when my guests get the great one. Works for me :)Sorry Rick