25 February 2010

Turkish deeelight.

This weekend, Mrs. Church is Man of the House. I shall be wearing the pants in this family (well, the PJ pants, at least). I shall watch ice skating and blog and drink wine (yes I am!)! Brad is off to Florida for family visiting and golf shenanigans, so I have four days of girl time. I started Girl Weekend '10 with a lovely dinner date with my dear friend Amy.

That's us, with Jess, almost 16 years ago!

When we were making our plans, Amy had a hankering for hummus and suggested Palm Palace. I didn't know anything about it, other than it was in the old Bill Knapps, which became La Shish, which was wrought with all sorts of drama. Anyway, now it is Palm Palace, and that is where we ventured this evening.

I can be picky, so I checked the menu beforehand. Saw falafel. Phew. Not just a meat on a stick-type place. When I arrived, I was immediately won over. This place smells SO GOOD from the outside. I'm sure it's the roasting meat I smelled, but either way it smells delicious. I beat Amy there, so I took in the menu for a few minutes. There are lots of Mediterranean-type dishes -- Lebanese, Greek -- and the menu is pretty comprehensive (and has lots of vegetarian options). They have appetizers, traditional entrees, sandwiches... some of everything, including some my favorites, like spinach pie and stuffed grape leaves. And everything is really reasonably priced. The appetizers are all under $10, the entrees are between $15 and $20, and the sandwiches are all around $5. They even have party platters for family-style meals that range from $50 to $100.

Amy arrived and we got right to it, ordering the hummus appetizer. And it's not just a piddly little bowl either. This is a giant serving of hummus, served with endless freshly cooked and delicious pita bread. We nibbled on this before, during, and after our meals, and Amy still took home the majority of it for later. Anyway, Amy decided on the chicken schwarma pita and I went with the falafel, also ordering half a Greek salad (I'm totally NOT a salad person but I've been on a salad kick lately, which is weird). I was 110% percent pleased with my meal. The falafel, while not a giant pita but probably a reasonable portion, was the best falafel I've had yet -- miles better than Ahmos, which I think is actually pretty dry. And the half salad was gigantic -- the dressing was delicious and light (sometimes you get that really dark, acidic Greek dressing), there was plenty of feta, and the veggies seemed fresh. I topped my meal off with my first cup of Turkish coffee, which came in an adorable little teacup. I don't know that I'd get it again, as it had a funny smell and tasted a little grainy, but I'm glad I tried it (we'll see how glad I am come 3 am when I can't sleep, though).

It's on the other side of town, so I don't know that I would have tried it otherwise, so I'm really glad Amy suggested it. If you find yourself with a hankering for hummus, I say go for it, too!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wish I was there to join in the girl weekend. I had the yummiest chicken gyro yesterday. I've got a fav place in Cambridge if you make it back here before we have a chance to fly the coop!