23 February 2010

Me love you long time.

When I visited Liz and Meg last month, it came to my attention I had another little person in my life who was sadly lacking a homemade winter hat. Sam! Duh! And while I've made my share of baby hats, I'd never made a toddler hat. I don't trust my own math/reasoning skills yet, so I immediately started a pattern search when I got home. Well, maybe I just don't realize how close in size baby heads are to toddler heads, but I had a heck of a time finding the measurements for a kid. I finally found a pattern I really liked, with a cute mid-section design. The pattern turned out to be a real pain in my behind, which, I discovered, was my own fault, not a fault of the pattern (what would I do without my knitting guru, Jessica?!). Nonetheless, there was lots of staring at the computer screen and grumbling. But it worked itself out.

Until I made a stupid simple mistake that I just couldn't figure out how to fix. So (close your eyes, Jess) I "fixed" it in a way that it would be hid on the inside of the brim. While, the pattern that said it would fit up to a four-year-old was too small for Sam, revealing * gasp * my icky mistake! I immediately started a re-do hat.

This time I knew Sam's measurements better and was able to figure out the math for a simple straight knit hat. I threw in a little Charlie Brown stripe for interest. No mistakes this time, and it fits him pretty well. Phew!

Thanks for letting me steal the pics without asking, Liz. :)

What am I working on now? Well, wouldn't you like to know! Ha ha ha!

In unrelated news, today Lisa and I attended a free Japanese Bento box class at my neighborhood library branch. While a little overrun with youngsters (spring break week), it was overall a fun way to spend a few hours on a Tuesday afternoon. Plus, we got free Bento boxes and food to practice with. I don't know that I have the patience or skill to make much use of actual Bento arts, but I am endlessly amused by the cute possibilities.

Why thanks, Bento box!

Broccoli belly banana man in coffin and initialed strawberry-banana caterpillar.

Afternoons like this remind me of how lucky I am to have the freedom to do this sort of stuff right now. Deep breath, repeat three times: I am lucky... I am lucky... I am lucky... Sometimes you need a little reminder to look on the bright side of life.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Thanks for the hats! They are sooo well done I'm kind of jealous of your mad knitting skills. Sam likes 'em too and he looks so cute with his custom little caps! (And he has a big head, so it makes sense that it's hard to get the size right...)