12 June 2012

Lunch lady land.

I woke up at 6:45 am today... and I didn't barf! Day Two of Back to Work Week required my attendance at an 8 am meeting. Nothing like breaking me right in, right? (I did sleep/get ready in my trusty SeaBands, so maybe they helped...) So I am two days in. I've survived waking up early, wearing heels, various meetings, corporate buzz words, and I'm still smiling.

Plus, I have my own cube. That I don't share with my boss. That no one steals my stuff from. Not a single pen has a pink post with my name on it. It's the little things, right?

I also have a snack drawer. Or, a drawer with minimal snacks that will eventually become a full-on snack drawer. Significant because I couldn't keep food at my desk overnight before. Because of the mice (that peed all over our desks).

AND! I am steps away from our cafeteria! I have never worked anywhere with a cafeteria! I know, cafeteria food... Big deal. But this really feels like the big time. (There is even a "eat healthy, eat local" display table outside the kitchen!) If I forget my oatmeal one morning? Cafeteria! If I run out of coffee and decide I want a cup of Starbucks? $1. Forgot my lunch (or too lazy to make one)? A salad bar, with great topping options (hard boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries). A hot sandwich line (veggie burger, black bean burger, grilled cheese)... Fries! Pizza. Soups. And a rotating entree. A fountain soda machine, should I REALLY need a Coke one day. Snacks. Fruit. Not to mention the super fancy, healthy/organic-type vending machine down the hall.

Yesterday, being my first day, and I was alone and intimidated, I didn't want to look like I didn't know what I was doing, so I just went right to the salad. Which worked out just fine because it was delicious and $3.


A little snack splurge for a (diet, I know, ew) peach Snapple.
And what's better than salad... topped with pasta salad?!

This morning, after a meeting with my boss (in the cafeteria), I snuck over to the food to scope things out while no one was looking. That's when I discovered all the veggie sandwich options. Yeah!! I was starving by 11:30, so I went and grabbed a veggie burger with pepperjack cheese. The sandwich maker guy was SUPER jolly. (He was no Farley, though...)


Couldn't resist the baked Doritos.

So, with a great food situation, everything else has to fine right in line behind awesome, right???

PS I made this cake last weekend - which Hillary previously made - and it is delicious. You should make it, too.


PSS I am really happy to have my new job, but I must confess I really miss my afternoon adventures with Hillary and the girls. Sniff!


6 comments:

Sara said...

"This way to the cafeteria!" haha Sounds like an excellent start!

Rachel said...

Yay veggie burgers! But boo! Get them to quit using Styrofoam!

(my not-a-robot word is recesho. it knows me so well!)

Lady Lisa said...

Welcome back to lunch lady land! And I agree with Rachel on the styrofoam. I can't wait to hear more about all your work adventures.

KayBee said...

I'm j-e-a-l-o-u-s!! A cafeteria....what?!?! I get one place that delivers to me with a $10. min. Suck it up and enjoy. It's the little things :)

troyandhill said...

Funny, in my professional career, I have never worked anywhere that DIDN'T have a cafeteria. Hehe.

We miss you too. Maren will just have to claim "Stephanie's house!" as we walk by, but suffer no actual Stephanie :(

troyandhill said...

I also think I should start a blog. Simply posting all my baked goods should be enough material for starters anyway :)